Monday, August 29, 2005

For the Love of Technology

I'm a Mac girl, all the way. I do most of my work on a beautiful Powerbook, and I am deeply, unreasonably in love with my iPod.

I've been going through my music collection as of late in anticipation of my fifty-minute-each-way commute that begins in a few days; I want to make sure that the iPod is all loaded up and ready to go. I discovered, as I was adding some previously overlooked CDs to the iTunes library, that I am in personal possession of over nine days' worth of music. That's more than thirty-two HUNDRED songs, people. So I thought I'd take a look, an inventory if you will, of what I've got on there.

A spin of the thumbwheel will reveal that I've got more Indigo Girls and Sting than any other artists, I've got three different kind of chanting monks (more if you count the seperate sects of Catholicism), and a bunch of what I lovingly refer to as "chicks with guitars." You'll find some fun songs by Lyle Lovett, a few from Mary Chapin Carpenter, and one or two Dixie Chicks songs, but that's it as far as the "country" genre goes. I've got some hip-hop and rap (I am, perhaps, Everlast's whitest fan) and a boatload of popular music remixed for use in step classes. No fewer than seven remakes of "Ain't No Sunshine," some representative Queen songs, a bunch of stuff from the 80's, and some classic rock and roll; AC/DC, Rush and The Eagles. It's quite the eclectic collection I've got here.

Maybe what I DON'T have is more telling, though. No Bee Gees. No Barbara Streisand or Barry Manilow. Though I have nothing against the genre, I have no show tunes. No Brittany Spears or N'Synch. No Rolling Stones (though I do have Mick teaming up with Lenny Kravitz for a remake of Bill Withers' classic "Use Me" - and just as an aside, I've got a bunch of original Bill Withers stuff, too). And no, I repeat NO, Creedence Clearwater Revival.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kizz said...

Hey, what do you have against CCR?!

I am shuffling the whole POD (it's so big it must be in all caps now) these days. This morning I was listening and a song came on and I'll all, "Ella? No, Etta? No. Must be Anna Nalick or someone new you told me about." A look at the (COLOR!) screen told me: Outkast.

I feel so hip. Not only do I own and listen to Outkast, I LIKE IT!

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home