Monday, June 12, 2006

The Flavor of Summer

The Chili family is in love with Good Eats. The other day, we watched an episode where Alton Brown works with melons.

I've been in love with watermelon my entire life. It's not unreasonable for me to finish an entire seedless watermelon all by myself and in one sitting. Anyway, I usually bring a melon home and immediately dissect it into bite sized, easy to eat pieces - that way, it's convenient to eat and thus gets eaten instead of rotting in the fridge. I used to do this by cutting the melon into wedges, cutting the rind off of each wedge, then dicing the flesh.

Alton Brown has a different method. He cuts the end off the melon and then, using an electric knife, he shaves the rind off the whole thing before cutting it into wedges. When I watched that, I thought it seemed like an awful lot of work and besides, I don't have an electric knife.

I brought home a seedless melon the other day and decided to try Alton's method before discounting it entirely. I cut my melon in half first, then used a plain old, non-electrified chef's knife to cut the rind off and I've gotta tell you, it's the way to go. MUCH easier than trying to maneuver a knife through wedges.

I feel as though a secret of the Universe has been revealed to me, and I feel it's my duty to pass it on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home