Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Zoom, Zoom!

Something big must be getting ready to happen. There's be an AMAZING amount of hardware flying out of the former Air Force base, now Air National Guard base, nearby. Our house happens to be in direct line of the landing path, so all that metal flies over us on its way back home.

I can't really tell you what all the planes are (because then, I'd have to kill you... no, not really) because I don't know for sure what they all are. I've heard Husband spit out letters and numbers (Husband: "oh, that's a P141 Starlifter." Me: "Really? Oh. Okay.") but I CAN tell you that some of those planes are HUGE. And I mean even up in the AIR you can tell they are ginormous planes. It makes one wonder how, exactly, those monstrosities of metal and fuel manage to stay up.

One plane that I DO know how to identify is the F15 fighter. As I write this, they must be practicing touch-and-go because they're essentially running loops around my house. I'll hear them take off from the base (10 miles away by road - a lot closer as the proverbial crow goes). Then they'll TEAR over my house - I very often miss them going by because they're moving faster than the noise they're making and I can't get to the porch in time. Five minutes later they'll come by the house again, going in the other direction, on their way back to the runway, then they'll do it all over again. And when I say "they," I mean THEY - there's rarely one jet at a time, though one just went by all alone - there are usually at least two, and I've seen as many as four flying in formation.

It's difficult to describe the rush that I get when these fighters whiz over my home. I'm not overly fond of flying, myself, and I'm not sure that I would WANT a ride in one of the planes, though I would think long and hard before passing up the opportunity should it ever come my way. The sheer speed and power that they boast seems to find its way under my skin, though, and I feel my own pulse quicken as they roar overhead. I certainly won't be one of the neighbors calling the base to complain about the noise, though I find that my running to the porch to watch the planes zip past is making it very difficult for me to get anything of substance done these last few days...


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Possibly something to do with all the leaders of countries who want to see all of us obliterated from the face of the earth because we're non-believers unless we convert to Islam being in NY? I think my burka is currently at the dry-cleaners!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Heh! You might be spot-on, there, Claudia. I know that, for the last week or so, there has been some heightened activity over at the base and that most of it flies directly over our house. It could well have to do with the meeting of the UN General Assembly - I hadn't even considered that; thanks for pointing it out.

I don't know about burkas, but I AM considering buying one of these hats:

http://www.modestworld.com/hat32.html

It's not the "modesty" I'm after (HA!! ME?! MODEST?!) - the hat is pretty and looks damned warm and cozy - and we're heading fast into weather that calls for warm and cozy...

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to be a pain in the ass, Mrs. C. (me? A pain in the ass? No way!), it's a C-141, not a p-141. It's called the Starlifter, and yes, it is a HUGE aircraft. It's 168 feet long and 39 feet high with a 160 foot wingspan. It has a top speed of 500mph, a maximum altitude of 41,000 feet and can carry up to 34 TONS of cargo. And it's not even the biggest aircraft in the US military!

Just some useless trivia for ya.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Falcon, it's not considered a pain in the ass here to make corrections; thanks for setting that straight (see? I TOLD you I didn't know what their designations are, but I sure as hell know big-ass airplanes when they're roaring alarmingly close to my house!)

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home