Sunday, November 05, 2006

Well, I NEVER!

Twenty things I’ve never done:

1. I’ve never gone skiing, which is strange, given that I’ve lived my entire life in New England where it’s snowy for the better part of half a year.

2. I’ve never been to 36 of the 50 states in the U.S. (I HAVE been to Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, Wyoming and Montana - and D.C., though that doesn’t count as a state, right?)

3. I’ve never pulled an “all-nighter,” whether for college or otherwise - though some of my girls’ infant days came dangerously close to it.

4 Excepting one trip to Bermuda and a drive into - and then directly out of - Canada (I never actually set foot on Canadian soil), I’ve never been out of the country.

5. I was never a Girl Scout.

6. I never went to an overnight summer camp.

7. I’ve never given blood. I was turned away when I tried because I’m anemic. “A damned shame,” the tech said. I’m O-. The Universal Donor.

8. I’ve never had surgery. I still have my tonsils, my appendix, and my wisdom teeth.

9. I’ve never called in to a radio contest.

10. I’ve never been arrested, or fingerprinted for anything other than background checks for jobs.

11. I’ve never been stoned on illicit drugs (though I’ve gotta tell you, the pills I get when I do damage to my back are pretty good!).

12. I’ve never been on a roller coaster that loops riders upside down - and I never will.

13. I’ve never been snorkeling or SCUBA diving.

14. I’ve never been called to jury duty.

15. I’m not a member of the Mile-High Club.

16. I’ve never eaten sushi, refried beans or brussels sprouts.

17. I never learned to read music and, as a consequence, never learned to play an instrument.

18. I never learned to knit.

19. I’ve never taken dancing lessons, gymnastics, or a kickboxing class.

20. I’ve never seen The Exorcist, Gone with the Wind, The African Queen or Apocalypse Now. Actually, there are a LOAD of classic movies I’ve never seen, but that’s another post.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kizz said...

so funny I was talking to someone else last night and he'd never seen GWTW. I recommend it for both of you. Look closely when Atlanta burns, they burned the set of King Kong to get the effect and I'm told you can see the Empire State Building go down if you look closely. I'm sure I've told you how much I love Apocalypse Now. So good.

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The African Queen is one of the best movies ever. You must watch. I have spoken.

GWTW always just ticked me off. What did those guys see in that spoiled brat?

Now, with the exception of the illegal drugs, you should make this your 'to-do' list, instead of your 'I've never' list.

Wait till I get there to go go skiing so we can break our legs together!

12:27 AM  
Blogger organic mama said...

May I be the one to help take care of number 4? I would dearly love to introduce you to Montreal, which I know very well, as it one of the premier cities of the world and fairly easy to get to. You will love it.

So what kooky things, interesting things and way out things have you done? I'll bet that list is a fascinating one...

As for GWTW, I have also never seen it. Same for Tootsie and innumerable others. But I HAVE seen African Queen and I love it too - what a classic. Have you seen the truly phenomenal 12 Angry Men?

8:38 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Let me know if you want some help with #18 -- I appear to have made it my personal mission to become a yarn pusher. And try #7 again, because after I had the girls, I haven't seemed to have any problems having the red blob sink in the blue stuff. I may not have a lot of money to give to charity, nor a lot of time to volunteer, but I can sit for an hour and give up a pint.

9:42 AM  
Blogger vanx said...

We have a flag down on number 17! You do not need to read music in order to play an instrument.~,:^0

2:32 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

NO? Oh. Well, okay, then - take the parenthetical out of the sentence so it reads "I never learned to read music and never learned to play an instrument."

2:38 PM  
Blogger gerry rosser said...

You definitely don't need to read music to play it. I learned guitar by ear (although I can read music).

I see in your profile you like Vertical Horizon, I am happy to call Matt Scannell and his family friends. He's an outstanding young man, and the whole family are wonderful people.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oops, I meant to post here, re the jinx that might be associated w/ #14. You will get called to serve on a jury now for sure.

BTW, very nice blog!

7:01 PM  
Blogger JRH said...

Not only have I seen GWTW, I READ it. After the reading the book, the movie seems short.

My parents dragged me to African Queen too. The leeches gave me nightmares.

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home