Saturday, January 14, 2006

To Be Filed Under "You Learn Something New Every Day"


I went to the library the other day, and checked out Velocity by Dean Koontz. It's a moderately entertaining read, though I fear it's going to dissolve into nightmare-fodder sometime fairly soon.

Anyway, I came across the word "recondite", which I am not sure I'd ever encountered before. It turns out that it means:

1. Not easily understood; abstruse. See Synonyms at ambiguous.
2. Concerned with or treating something abstruse or obscure: recondite scholarship.
3. Concealed; hidden.

I LOVE learning new vocabulary in books I'm reading for fun. You want a really serious language-booster? Go read Wicked by Gregory Maguire. I had to go to the dictionary about forty times while reading that...

3 Comments:

Blogger Kizz said...

There's a lag time before a Koontz book becomes nightmare fodder? Usually I start having the nightmares right away, sometimes while I'm still awake and reading. Fucking terrifying!

12:09 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Heh. I have a pretty high tolerance for stuff like this in books - though I HATE horror/slasher movies.

Really, the only book that ever freaked me out was The Shining (isn't that the book that Joey had to put in the freezer in "Friends"?).

One thing I really dislike about Koontz is that he often resolves the conflict in his books in absolutely unbelieveable ways - aliens and such are often the answer to his mysteries. I'm hoping this one is different. I'll let you know - I've got about three chapters left, then I'm on to a collection of short stories by Annie Proulx.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Kizz said...

Heh, that's funny, I sort of like the aliens. In his Strangers (I think), which is pretty much It by King, I think his ending kicked It's ass. King got too specific about what the scary was.
Funny, though, King is the only author I've had to put down (in mid sentence! - Misery) and remove from my room (Cujo) so I could sleep.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home