Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Some Women Buy Shoes....





I buy books.

Bowyer and I spent part of yesterday afternoon together. He brought me to his favorite used book store. It's a place I never would have thought to go into without being told how wonderful it is; it's a little hole-in-the-wall tucked into a nearly abandoned, 1970's era strip mall. It's run by a man who is almost a freak of nature - he KNOWS books - authors, titles, where they are in his shop and how long it will take him to get them on order if he doesn't have them on-site. It was wonderful.

When it was all over I came home with about 15 books. I've read four of them before (in the above pile, I'd already torn through Wicked and Ahab's Wife last year) and I bought a copy of Crichton's Timeline, which we used to have but loaned to someone - we're not sure who - and never got it back. I was able to get a bunch of titles I've been wanting to have for my own, and did it all for a lot less money than I expected to spend.

I have ZERO time right now to do any reading, but once I do, I'm going to have plenty to work with. It's exciting in a geeky sort of way.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kizz said...

I, too, buy the books under stress. My doc's office used to be near a great used bookstore. Get a piece of glass taken out of your foot then limp over to the bookstore and bathe the pain in pages.

Let me know if you ever make it through Cold Mountain. I did about 5 pages and can't even look at it now. It just sits on my shelf boring spears of guilt into me. I finish everything.

3:04 PM  
Blogger vanx said...

I can smell the musty wonder of the Used Book Emporium and its troll-like entrepreneur. Yummmm.

Now, when exactly will it be that you will have time to read? Nowadays I only buy art books because you only have to look at the pictures.

My unread stacks have unread stacks. I did, however, read Frankenstein. Maybe you should assign me books in my unread stacks. How about...Paradise Lost?

4:16 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I'll have time to read after all my work is done - probably sometime after the second week in May.

You can try reading PL, Vanx, but don't come crying to me when you get lost. I only read excerpts and even then, just barely. It's tough stuff, and I'm not sure I'm better for having read what I did.

Tell me what's in some of your piles. Maybe we've got coincidentals and can start up our own little internet book club!

4:28 PM  
Blogger vanx said...

...Or Internet used (gently) book store.~,:^)

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home