Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Kitchen Pics

I know, I know; it's been a while since I've posted pictures of the progress in the kitchen. Sorry - I've been busy.

This is the view you've all seen before, but not with the fridge put back where it belongs. We've decided that we're going to replace the fridge - eventually - with a black, cabinet-depth model. It seems a shame for Husband to have lined everything up sp beautifully to end up with a behemoth appliance sticking out and wrecking the lines, don't you think?

This is the view facing the sink. The cabinets on the end are as far as cabinets will go, but the counter will go around the corner and make up my workspace, where my computer and a file cabinet for work stuff and bills will go. There will be two wall cabinets up on that side wall, but we haven't gotten around to putting them together yet.

This last picture is of half of what will be the island. Husband will be building a wall from which to hang the back cabinets this weekend - then we'll buy a cooktop and a wall oven and hire someone to come to measure and install the countertops!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like it's progressing! You matched the color of the cabinets quite nicely with the choice of stain. I also think that the wood is much,much warmer looking than the white was.Nice choice,alot cozier looking,if you will. What color are you thinking of for the counters,if you don't mind my asking or is it still a decision that's pending?

4:49 PM  
Blogger Kizz said...

Hey and there are proper windows in the dining room (?) too! I can see them!

9:05 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Yes, it's a dining room and there's only one window - the opening you see to the right is the window, the other is half of a sliding glass door that will lead (eventually and God willing) to a porch/patio to the back yard (what's left of it, that is. This addition ate up a lot of yard space).

2:36 PM  
Blogger vanx said...

Looks great! We had our dream kitchen built in our last house (did I tell you this?) by a friend who actually mills his own oak in the hillbilly part of Northern NJ. It was a major selling point to the people who bought the house and gutted it by leaving a candle burning--nobody was hurt, they rebuilt the innards of the house and moved back in. Everyone is happy now, but the dream kitchen is in kitchen heaven.

You probably didn't need to hear that story.~,:^)

Any you have a husband who is doing the work. My wife envies you. All I did was contribute a few paintings.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

What a sad story! There will be no unattended candles in THIS house, I assure you - I have a friend to whom the same thing happened, so I've got an example from which to work.

Tell your wife not to envy. This project, if you haven't noticed, is taking a remarkable amount of time - time that we don't get to spend with him. It's also an awful lot of pressure, both on him personally and on our relationship in general. Were I to do it over again (and I hope I never do), I'll hire a couple of carpenters to do it.

But it IS lovely, isn't it? We love IKEA...

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to smile at Vanxs'comments about "husbands" doing the work. We redid our kitchen(all custom-built cabinets) last summer. My husband,who does absolutely beautiful woodworking,offered to take on the project(what a sweetie!) It was ME who had to find a tactful way to let him know that since he was self-employed,worked long hours and this was a room that would not lend itself to a weekend/evening schedule, it was best to trust it to a craftsman whos work we both appreciated the quality of. We chose my brother-in-law,who's workmanship in his own home I had admired for many years. It was a win win for all of us. I got beautiful craftmanship and wasn't without a kitchen for too long, my husband could enjoy his Harley on the weekends and come home without a project facing him,and my brother-in-law said that he enjoyed the project as there a lot of creativity involved in executing the vision. I knew how I wanted it to LOOK but not how to get there,so we bounced ideas around on areas that required less than straight forward solutions.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home