Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Motive and Opportunity

So, here's the scene. It's 8:15 or so in the morning, and I'm helping Beanie put butter on her English muffin. As we're chit-chatting and I'm speading, I hear something small drop to the floor. I look down to see Beanie's cutie little face smiling sheepishly up at me, and a red M&M rocking to rest by her feet.

"Are you eating M&Ms?" I ask.

"Um....well....kinda," she replies.

I eye the jar of M&Ms, just within her reach, and ask "when did you get a chance to steal M&Ms?"

"Well, Daddy went outside to meet the counter guy and, well, I only took a few."

She's SUCH my child: she saw her opening, and by God, she TOOK it!

3 Comments:

Blogger Kizz said...

Hey, she was smart, she was swift, she was careful and when things went south she stayed honest. Brilliant!

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, am I the only one who appreciates good thieving? Some of my favorite literary characters (like Silk / Kheldar from David Eddings' Belgariad and Malloreon series) are great thieves. I love the characters (heroes, even?) in movies like Entrapment, Oceans Eleven, The Saint, and After The Sunset, and if my character in D&D isn't a thief, he's a ranger. Is there something wrong with me? :)

10:04 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

No, Falcon, you're not the only one who appreciates good thieving - clearly, this post was written in admiration for not only Beanie's nicking abilities (I was standing right over the child, for heaven's sake, and didn't realize she was eating chocolate), but also for her wisdom in coming clean when she was so obviously busted. Remember that the baby is only seven. She played it exactly right, and the entire scene still makes me smile.

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home