Friday, January 27, 2006

WHOA!

Okay, so here's the scene:

I'm sitting in an office, having an interview. We're talking about the nuts and bolts of the job, my philosophy on this or that, then the interviewer turns to me and says "So, is this a change of career for you?"

Sorry, WHAT!?

Then it occurs to me - the people this man interviews for positions like the one I'm gunning for are likely about fifteen years younger than I am.

I made haste to explain that I've been busy over the last decade raising two children, and that there was nothing else I could do at the time that was more important than that. I'm hoping that my even tone and total belief in the truth of that statement worked in my favor. I'm also hoping that my "maturity" gives me some credibility here.

Still, it gave me pause. I'm 37, people. That's not "old". Though I may be a little late to the party, I haven't missed the best parts yet.

Right?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya! It's usually a rude reminder that you are,in fact,"middle-aged"! You are old enough to have a 20 year old son or daughter had your life taken a different turn and you are old enough to be the parent of the children you will be teaching! That many of your age would have been pursuing professional career for 15 years or so already probably prompted his question. It sounds like you handled the situation well.

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home