Sunday, January 22, 2006

Blog For Choice



Today is National Blog for Choice Day.

I'm not a huge activist-type. My leanings are definitely lefty-humanist, but I'm not one to go on long, politically motivated tirades, attend marches or even plaster the back of my car with bumper stickers (for the record, my car sports rear window clings representing Gallaudet, my university, the Chinese symbol for gratitude, and the gay pride flag).

I do, however, pay attention. And I vote.

Here's my take on the whole abortion thing: it's nobody's business but the woman's. My opinion on the "issue" matters exactly zip-point-nothing, and neither does anyone else's who's not in the crisis of an unintended or unwanted pregnancy.

Too bad the government doesn't realize this.

Think about it for a minute; for as much as we may try to be sympathetic and considered, there is really no way that we can truly walk the proverbial mile in another's shoes. We cannot know what another is thinking or feeling; we cannot fully appreciate what it means to live another's life. We certainly have no right to decide what's "best" for anyone but our own little selves.

The decision to have a child or not is, without question, one of the most life-altering choices a woman can make. It is a profoundly complex decision stuffed to bursting with long-reaching implications. No one should be allowed to make that decision for her.

And no one should be allowed to limit her options, either.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kizz said...

Thanks for the heads up, where did you find out about this? And how did you use the button?
I'll join in later today.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Fuckkit said...

Well said m'dear.

That is all :)

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What would make you think that "the government doesn't realize this"? Maybe it's that it DOES realize,but has a different opinion. Understanding does not equate with agreeing. I personally don't believe that our forefathers would have condoned abortion,but agree with a persons right to choose as long as it does not infringe on the rights of others.Did you realize that the percentage of abortion numbers has actually decreased since it became legal?

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I cover SO MANY sites on any given issue (far right,far left and middle,if it can be found)and I don't save sites,I am unable to give an exact location to go to-sorry. I read between 10-12 sites and all I know is that this info was on several. They seems unable to explain the phenomena,although I have some opinions myself.I'm fairly sure that if I found the info,you should have no problem.(I didn't realize there was going to be a test!)I was invested in reviewing what rights the government has under "martial law" when this came up.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home