Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Kizz's List, #15: Friends

(author's note: I reserve the right to re-visit this list item. I am profoundly blessed in the friend department and don't think I can limit my posts on the subject to just one.)


I spent yesterday with someone I love and care for very much, and I'm feeling so much better for it.

WeedWoman is someone I was guided by the Universe to meet; looking back on it, I don't think I really had much choice in the matter. She used to work at the health club and I distinctly remember seeing her every now and then but not really thinking much of it: we never had occasion to speak to one another. Then, one night, we were attending the same (boring) staff meeting and the Universe was insisting, rather emphatically, that I introduce myself.

I was, I will admit, a little hesitant to do this. WeedWoman looks, on the surface, to be a crunchy-granola, Earth Mother type, and I'm none of those things. I wasn't sure I could handle a relationship with someone who looked likely to be a strict vegan; I wasn't interested in subjecting myself to the disapproval of someone who lived a cleaner, more wholesome life than I do. Still, I promised myself that I would LISTEN when the Universe spoke to me, so I took the chance, walked up to her after the meeting ended, and thrust myself rather unceremoniously into her life.

She is now someone I can't live without, and wouldn't choose to even if I could. While she does have her Earth Mother tendencies, she is neither militant nor judgmental about them (I remember very clearly asking her, early in our friendship, if she was a vegetarian. "Oh, GOD, no!" she replied, "sometimes a girl's just gotta have a burger!" It was sometime around that point that I knew she was a keeper.)

There are a lot of reasons why I love her. She's smart and observant. She's practical and trustworthy. She appreciates the simple pleasures and she's a walking riot. I cannot spend five minutes with this woman without laughing. She cracks me up all the time, and I do the same to her. I think it frightens our husbands a little bit that we're always laughing together. They don't always get what's so funny. I kind of like that, come to think of it.

I am so grateful for her presence in my life, and am finding out just how much I HATE that she's moved. We're not within easy distance from each other anymore. Seeing one another requires forethought, decent weather and a full tank of gas. Gone are the days of a "Hey! Whatcha doin'?" phone call followed by impromptu lunch or shopping. It does mean, though, that I treasure all that much more the time that we DO get to spend together.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I treasure you also, my friend. I need your presence in my life as I need air. The boys need a little scare (which adds mystery to a partnership) every once in a while. It says a lot about our relationship that it can support an hour commute, of course around here that's nothing. Some of my neighbors drive twice that just to get to work! Please remember that I am willing to make that drive ANY time you need me.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home