Saturday, October 21, 2006

We're Experiencing Technical Difficulties; Please Hold.

The replacement battery for my laptop, one that's not supposed to be prone to, well, explosion, came on Thursday. Thinking that it was a good idea to have a stable battery in my computer (he's sweet like that), my husband removed the old battery and replaced it with the new one.

I was planning on taking the computer with me to a seminar I attended on Friday, so my husband shut her down so I could pack her into the briefcase for the trip. I'm not sure what caused him to do it, but he hesitated and said that he'd better try to restart it, just in case.


That's when all the trouble started.


The new battery didn't explode or anything (I just thought that the picture above was pretty dramatic and would get your attention), but it seems to have scrambled the brains of my laptop. It won't turn back on. It's not responding to anything. Husband tried everything he could think of; he put the old battery back in, he plugged the power cord in with the new battery, then the old battery, then NO battery. He called the tech support line for Mac and was given a couple of secret-code-ish things to try ('press this, this, and this button simultaneously while pushing the 'on' button and whistling the theme to Star Trek"). Still nothing.

Our local Mac repair place is in the midst of moving from a location in our town to a new store a few towns over and won't be able to take a look at the computer until at least Monday. I'm hoping that they'll be able to flip a switch or press a magic sequence of buttons or whisper some magic Mac Voodoo to wake her up again. In the meantime, I'll be posting from WeedWoman's old laptop, because I just can't be unplugged for too long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home