Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Plant Identification


Can any of you out there tell me what these are?















I took this picture at Downtown Disney in Florida, where the stuff was growing out doors and was just about as happy as I've ever seen a plant. I bought one at the Home Depot a few weeks ago, and I'm not sure it's very happy with me. The ends of some of the leaves are browning, and the middles of other leaves are turning yellow.

A friend of mine, who loves to root around in the dirt, told me that these problems are probably due to something the plant suffered before I even got it. She said that a lot of issues with plants take about two weeks to show up and that I should just be patient and see what happens once the thing has a chance to acclimate to my house. I'm hoping she's right because I really like this plant. It reminds me of Florida.

4 Comments:

Blogger vanx said...

I think what you're experiencing with this plant is the difference between Disney World and the real world~,:^)

Do the leaves feel like they are covered in a thick plastic film?

9:25 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

(rueful chuckle)...I thought that might be the case.

I don't know exactly what the plant is, though, so I can't look up care instructions.

As far as the film; no, not really, though the leaves do have that slightly artificial feel of tropical foliage plants. My friend thinks that, just before I got it, it was allowed to dry completely out and then was overwatered and it's now exhibiting the symptoms of that treatment. From now on, I'm to drench the thing once a week or so and let it drain out completely and see how that goes. It lives in the bathroom, so water and humidity are easy things to procure.

I'm just hoping it doesn't die outright.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Kizz said...

What about heat? Is the bathroom hot? Because FL? Kinda hot, especially at the time you were there.

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can count on the Depot to take the worst possible care of the plants in their charge. I think your friend is probably right about past trauma. If it does die, take it back to the Depot and then go to Wentworth Greenhouse and get a healthy one from a local grower.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home