Friday, September 29, 2006

The McIrony Continues

So, earlier this week, I posted a link to the funny lady over at Yogabeans who wrote a deliciously wicked post (no pun intended) about the irony of McDonald's putting the image of an American woman in a yoga pose on their bags. McDonald's is working hard on an ad campaign that is trying to get us to associate their products with healthful living. Sadly, I think that some of us may just be willing to believe it.

Well, the campaign is going one step further. This afternoon I went to the health club where I work: I had to teach a class and pick up my pay stubs. Stapled to this week's deposit receipt is a series of four McDonald's coupons, good for everything from free egg McMuffins to free large sandwiches, with the purchase of another.

Let me restate - I work in a HEALTH CLUB.

I received complimentary McDONALD'S coupons attached to my paycheck.

Does anyone else see this as fundamentally wrong?


(I suppose, in the interest of full disclosure, I should admit that I do, on occasion, eat at McDonald's. I'm a child of the 70s and 80s - my parents believed that french fries and the pickle on my burger counted as vegetables. Even taking into account the fact that I've been known to consume a Quarter Pounder (no cheese, extra onions, please), I am not immune to the profound - and slightly alarming - irony of McDonald's coupons attached to a FITNESS INSTRUCTOR'S paycheck. Maybe they're figuring to keep us in business?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home