Sunday, January 01, 2006

Does It Mean I'm a Terrible Friend?

I am in the midst of a schizophrenic attack.

I was just up to visit WeedWoman in her new house! I'm very excited for her; it's a lovely place in a lovely corner of the world. There's plenty of dirt around for her to play in (when the snow melts), and there's a stream out back where Mr. W can go fishin'. The house is brand new-never-been-lived-in, has three bedrooms, two baths, a full basement and an ENORMOUS garage, and my best friend is very, very happy to be there.

So, what's my problem?

It's a freaking HOUR AWAY! I left there at two fifty one and arrived home at three forty eight. And I know for a FACT that I never once obeyed a speed limit. She says she's going to see me every Thursday (she attends a Tai Ch'i class nearby) and I know that I'll make several treks up there, but it's going to be a lot different now that she's so far away. No more spontaneous, "wanna go shopping or come over for tea?" phone calls. No more dropping in, just because I was nearby. And I'm going to have to take her name and phone number off the emergency phone list at the girls' elementary school.

I'm feeling the effects of best-friend withdrawal already.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wayfarer said...

I'd like to say that I am saddened by the fact that few of my own friends are close enough to share life with daily in the way that you describe. It is not in our culture to value such things, and I think it hurts us.

I think that, if something is important enough (and having loved ones close is VERY important, to me, anyway) we should find a way to bring it to pass. My wife and I opened our house to friends of ours, and it has been the greatest blessing to both of our families. They live in the apartment upstairs.

We have made a commitment with each other to make the arrangement a positive one and it has proven to be a wonderful thing. We talk nearly every day, share meals, play games (their little girl of 18 months is now beginning to follow my kids around and they love it, although there is still some learning to be done about how to share with a baby who doesn't understand the concept), work outside and, best of all, just enjoy each other's company.

Not that what we did is the solution for everyone. We each have to discover our own path. What I guess I'm saying is that maybe we all need to think about what we want from life and look at whether what we're doing is giving us that. This is the time of year to do that, and to consider changes that bring us closer to what we really want.

Maybe I should have posted this in your other entry, with the New Year's resolutions?

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home