Saturday, December 17, 2005

A Late Start

We're planning to get our Christmas tree this afternoon.

Usually, we've had the tree for at least a week by now. This year, though, we've been highly distracted - both husband and I have been slightly crazed in our respective work environments, and the house is still unfinished and in a fairly intense state of disarray.

Yesterday, we went to the evil empire that is Wal-Mart and bought some plastic bins, into which we put all of the things that belong somewhere else (somewhere that is still unfinished) but that were temporarily placed where the Christmas tree traditionally goes.

Now that space is clear, and this morning I will make it clean as well. This is something that, I think, always slightly amuses Husband: I spend about a half hour with the vacuum and mop, then he tromps in with snowy, muddy boots and a sappy, shedding tree. He sets the beast up, then I go BACK in with vacuum and mop. Perhaps I ought to re-think THAT part of our pre-holiday routine, huh?

Anyway, we're finally getting ready for Christmas. I'm still not sure I FEEL like it's Christmas, though. Maybe having the tree up will help.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kizz said...

OK, I'm not going to weigh in on whether you should stop the pre and post tree cleaning because you know what I'd say. However, and in all seriousness, I'd like to know your reasoning behind it.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Heh. You, of all people, should know that there's often no rationality behind my neuroses!

Honestly, though? I think I clean twice because, well, after we clear everything out of that space in preparation for the arrival of the tree, everything is so wide open and easily accessible. I can GET into the corner with the vacuum, I can reach the window sills, and I don't have to mop around any furniture. Because I CAN, I DO.

The post-tree cleaning is done out of necessity and is considerably less anal; it usually just involves the vacuum for stray needles and whatever autumn detritus was left in the tree - dried grass and leaves, generally - and a brief run with the Swiffer.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Kizz said...

Now really this is a three cleaning process because I'm sure that you clean it all when the tree comes down, too. May I suggest cutting it down to twice. Stray pine needles when the tree is put up. Full cleaning when the tree comes down. Call it a streamlining of the process.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

See, and we get around it by not having a traditional Xmas tree. Instead, we do up our ficus tree, Theonomous. He's already there, plenty full enough and looks great with lights and ornaments. It saves a tree, saves on cleaning (and thus allows for a reapplication of neuroses) and there's no disposal issue.

People say, "It's just not Christmas without a Christmas tree." I have argued, however, that it's not really Christmas anyway, so you may as well do the socially, economically and environmentally conscious thing.

I'm actually all taken with the season this year, even though I wasn't in the States for my traditional Black Friday mall outing, and even though I've been so #@*&ing busy I haven't had time to even sing the half a verse of "Let it Snow" that I can remember from year to year. It's got the right feel at Wayfarer House for a hearthy and homey St. Christmahannukwanstice Day this year. Here's hoping some of it makes its way to you!

3:47 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Not for nothing, but didn't you get the "decorate the parlor tree" idea from...um...ME?! :P

Anyway, up until this year, we still DID decorate the fig trees, but we had to add a real tree; our living room is just too huge not to. The high ceiling BEGS for a spectacular tree, and we've managed to find one every year (though we did take all the good tall ones from our "usual" tree farm, so we've had to move on to another. This one is owned by my grandmother's cousin, though, and Barbara gets a charge out of seeing the girls she hears all about all year long)

When I find the camera amid all the chaos and construction, I'll post a picture of this year's specimen...

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home