Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The Adventures of Walter

There's a tiny spider on the wall of my tub. He's been there since Saturday and, as far as I can tell, hasn't moved much all week. I dubbed him "Walter" this morning and I tried to get a picture of him after today's shower, but wasn't satisfied with the results I got. You're just going to have to use your imagination.

He's hanging out, at just about eye-level, under the conditioner and to the right of the back-scrubby-loofah-thingy that's hanging from the shelf on the back wall of the tub. He started out, on Saturday, a bit higher up and I almost washed him down the drain thinking that he was a bit of dust or sock fuzz that had stuck to the condensation on the wall. Since Saturday, he's migrated downward about five inches and every once in a while his aspect changes from facing toward the ceiling to facing the floor. Today he's sort of in the middle.

He's still alive, lest you think I'm fascinated by a dead spider stuck to my tub wall - I nudge him every day and he stirs. I'm certain he's getting plenty of fluids - the spot where he's settled himself is far enough away from the force of the shower that he's not in any danger of being killed by a rogue droplet, but near enough that a lovely sheen of condensation forms around him when we're done in the morning. I haven't the faintest idea what he's doing for protein and, honestly, I'm not sure I'd really want to know.

I'm going to instruct the family to not disturb him in any way, not that they have thus far. I'm not certain that the girls can see him from where they are height-wise, and am pretty sure that my husband couldn't care less. Regardless, I'd like to see how long Walter stays where he is.

See how exciting MY life is?!

3 Comments:

Blogger vanx said...

Hang in there Walter! I'm the only one in my family that wouldn't swat him. I can just imagine what I'd hear if a Walter were sighted in our tub by one of the "girls."

Has it occured to you, by the way, that Walter might be taking pictures as well~,:^0

9:39 PM  
Blogger Kizz said...

Spiders, the new drying paint.

Spiders, the new growing grass.

Happily, though, the post was not boring at all.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

This might interest the spiritual side of you.

In Chinese and Hindu mythology, spiders are often referred to as Grandmother. When a spider crawls into our awareness it is trying to remind us of the importance of living our life in accordance with our soul’s original intention. If you see a spider either in its web or creating a new one, pay attention. It can symbolize where you are in the weaving of your destiny. Choosing the appropriate path is one of the lessons associated with the appearance of spiders. Sometimes, though, they serve to make us aware of a recent indiscretion, or they may provide a warning against a temptation or habit.

Listen to your Grandmother.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home