Saturday, November 25, 2006

Despair

Someone explain to me, please, how, exactly, we're helping? How our being there is promoting freedom or liberty or anything other than grief and anger and hopelessness? So far, no one has been able to convince me that this is a moral, just, or even politically advantageous thing for us to be doing, and the more I hear about how things are panning out, the more angry, frustrated, and sorrowful I become. I'm pouring good energy into the Universe as fast as I can, but it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference....



**author's note: while doing research for tomorrow's blog entry, I came across this quote from Wicked by Gregory Maguire (page 204 in the paperback edition, if you're interested) that says what I'm trying to say better than I can say it:

"The wickedness of men is that their power breeds stupidity and violence."

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately,since two people figured out that they could pick up sticks and beat each other with them, this is how we,as a species, have solved our problems. The bigger question is "why do we continue to think violence is the best solution?" Parents beat their children, husbands beat their wives,and children beat each other on the playground. We haven't solved this problem on a small level. What makes anyone think that it can be solved when governments believe that the stakes are even higher?

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wives beat their husbands, children beat their parents, this stuff has no boundries.

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My point exactly!

1:18 AM  
Blogger The Grammar Snob said...

Politically-bred violence is some of the worse kind. Knowing that the United States is, at least, partially responsible for so much death and destruction is incredibly painful.

*These are my opinions, I understand everyone has their own.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Kizz said...

It's bad and we aren't doing any of the good that some people thought we would do when we went in there. Even a lot of the people who thought we would do good by going to war don't think we're doing good now. The problem is that we've gone in there and made things bad in a way that will be made worse if we simply leave right now. The worst and most painful part is that, despite the bad things that are continuing because of this, until we figure out a good way to get out of the area we can't in good conscience leave, either. The compound nature of lies and deceit have us (and them) by the balls.

12:17 PM  
Blogger gerry rosser said...

You know, I used to think Saddam Hussein was a wicked, atypical example of an "Iraqi." Now, it seems, that back in his reign, the people there were ruled by a man after their own hearts.
I put "Iraqi" in quotes because I don't believe there is any such country. No more than "Yugoslavia" was a country.

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home