Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Unanticipated Benefits of NaBloPoMo


alternately titled "As if I Didn't Already Have Plenty of Ways to Avoid My Responsibilities!"

For those of you who aren't familiar with this, November has been declared National Blog Posting Month (NaBloPoMo for short, though I'm not sure that the full name isn't easier to write out). It was the brainchild of Fussy, who, inspired by National Novel Writing Month, tweaked the idea a little bit then put out the call for blog writers to make a commitment to post a new entry every day for the month of November.

A BUNCH of writers answered that call - you can see the list here - and someone put up the NaBloPoMo Randomizer, a site that clicks one through a random selection of participating blogs. I've already put in a request to keep that site running after NaBloPoMo is over - that site is crazy-addicting! Through the randomizer, I've been exposed to a bunch of people I would likely never have encountered. There are a lot of really brilliant writers out there; people whose writing is smart and funny - sometimes one, sometimes the other, most often both simultaneously - people who post gorgeous photos, and writers who really care about what it is they have to say, whether they're commenting (or ranting, as the author of the piece puts it) on the separation of church and state in public schools or ruminating on the role coffee plays in their daily routine.

Here, in no particular order, are the blogs I've added to my bookmarks since November began. If you haven't checked them out already, please do. Oh, and comment, too, please - let them know you're out here and reading.

Two Blue Day

Eats Bugs

Everyday...SimplyStated

Meno's blog

A Tense Teacher

Taterdemallion

The Anonymous Truth


While I'm at it, let me add my old favorites, too (again, in no particular order):

117Hudson

VeryContrary

The Grammar Snob

Verb-ops

New Beginnings

Thrifty Mom in a Consumer World

PTA: Parent Teacher Asshole

It's all about community.

4 Comments:

Blogger meno said...

Thank you for the mention. It has been fun to find new blogs.
If they take away the randomizer i'm going to have to go to a 12 step program.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Kizz said...

Ditto on the 12 step.

Thanks for the listy goodness (and the mention), I love being able to come back and run down a list to hang out with the new people before I add them to the bookmarks.

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, you made me blush. Thanks! I am glad you found me.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Otter said...

Wow thanks for the mention. I'm new to blogging and am constantly amazed by people's blogs.

Thanks for the list of other good blog reads too. I've been enjoying them.

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home