Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Even Though It's Not Too Cold.....Yet.....

I'm totally ripping this post off from my new best blogger friend, The Grammar Snob. Her tag line is "semicolons make me hot." How can you not love that?!?




Things that I LIKE about cold weather:

Woobie sweaters. (In my house, things that are warm and snuggly and soft and make you feel all safe and snug are called "woobies" and we just love them.)

Woobie socks.

Comfort food. Chicken pot pie, beef stew, hot cocoa, warm pudding; stuff that just doesn't get eaten when the temperature outside is above 50 degrees.

Snow days. Yes, for as much as I bitch about the snow, I love snow days - unexpected do-nothing days when we're forced to stay indoors with no expectations but to stay in jammies, watch movies, and drink the above mentioned hot cocoa.

Listening to snowstorms from the comfort and safety of my warm bed
. I had a similar experience last night, listening to a pretty impressive rainstorm rage outside my window. I love the feeling of safety and security that comes from being bundled safely against the elements, and knowing that everyone I love is safe, too. It makes me humble and grateful to the Universe for all that I have.


Things I DON'T like about cold weather:

Black ice.

People who don't know how to drive in snowstorms.

Storms that coincide with events that force us out into them
. We had a wicked snowstorm on Christmas a few years ago, and it just made it a headache for everyone who had plans to be out on that day.

That it gets dark at three thirty in the afternoon
. I don't function well when it's dark out - all I want to do is get into jammies and finish the day. Sun's down? Time for bed! I've been known to have dinner on the table at 4:30 in the dead of winter. It throws all our timing off.

Stupid cold. By this, I mean the kind of cold where they run warning crawls on the bottom of our forecasts on the Weather Channel and the local weather guys tell us to not let our children wait at bus stops in the morning because they can suffer frostbite on noses and ears in less than three minutes. I mean the kind of cold where your car can't warm up between your house and wherever you're going, and you're not entirely sure it will start up when you're ready to go home again. I mean the kind of cold when your body pukes up the first breath of air because it's too cold for your lungs to process. I hate that.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a little scary how much alike we are sometimes, Mrs. C. Curling up under the blankets and falling asleep to the sounds of a good rain- or snowstorm are also favorite times of mine. I've bee known to bring the covers up to my eyes on occasion and just burrow down for the night. There's nothing quite lke waking up on the morning of a day off, seeing the snow fall outside, smiling, and just going back to sleep.

A tradition my wife and i have had for some time now is to both take a day off together in December, pull the mattress, sheets, blankets, and pillows off the bed and deposit them on the living room floor and jut watch Christmas specials all day. if we're lucky, it's snowing out that day, which just adds volumes to the atmosphere of the day.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Oh, that's a LOVELY tradition! May I borrow it (and any christmas special DVDs you have....)?

8:04 PM  
Blogger The Grammar Snob said...

Your post is so much better than mine! Now I will have to go write a better one tomorrow. I was all up for NaBloPoMo, but was too afraid of missing one and failing that I didn't do it. (such a chicken)

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feel free to borrow the tradition. I'm afraid I have very little on DVD, though. Mostly VHS.

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry! I forgot to ID myself on the last post.

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up in upstate New York. I loathed black ice. Well, once I learned to drive, that is.

Here in Seattle, it's less of a problem.

2:21 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

OOOH! Seattle! I always wondered what it's like there. Does it rain as much as t.v. shows set there would have us believe?

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All right! You have to find "Silent Snow, Secret Snow". It's a short story taught to us in Wisconsin like it's a classic. I have been so amazed that no one else has heard of it. It's out there and it's revelant here.

8:58 AM  
Blogger organic mama said...

Growing up in the great white north, I got used to a winter (and Fall!) with the kind of cold that freezes the little hairs in your nose, that makes breathing sharp and hurty, and that requires you to mummify yourself for, exposing nothing but your eyeballs to the elements. It truly is stupid cold.

I also love to snuggle in my blankets when the wind and rain/snow howl outside, knowing that I am safe and snug.If it's snow, my kids measure how much of the white stuff has piled up on the deck, note how deep with a ruler, and bring some in to eat with maple syrup. We had a snowstorm a few years back that shut down almost everything for two days. The world seemed to stop and hold its breath and I loved that. I look forward to more of those, mostly becuase that means my loved ones are home and snug with me.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't know what a woobie anything is but it sounds good to me!

12:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Woobie - wuh-BEE - n, adj:

noun - any article of clothing or bedding that is essentially soft, warm, or snugly "put the woobies on the bed." "I'm wearing woobies today."

adj - the quality of being soft, snugly, and warm. "This is my most woobie sweater."

get it?

1:14 PM  
Blogger Teacher Anonymous said...

Hot chocolate is definitely something I miss now that I live down in San Diego. Every once in a while it gets cool enough to drink it, but it is a rare occasion. Never having lived in a place that gets snow, I've never had to deal with idiot snow drivers, but people down here have the same problem when it rains, so I still get the idiot driver fun. My sister learned to drive down here, and she's already had one rain-related accident.

On an unrelated subject, I'd love suggestions on wedding music. I just haven't been to that many weddings (nor was I really paying attention at the ones I went to), so I'd love to hear someone elses thoughts and experiences.

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those things too (and hate the black ice etc). I also have a lot of 'wooby' bears - if feeling cold and/or depressed, pack bears round you with the blankets and cats, and watch TV or read a book. Surprising how fast you warm up, even if the heating's not on...

7:50 PM  
Blogger gerry rosser said...

Hang in there. Global Warming will get rid of your snowstorm problems! Just think, I'll get to stay at Cape Cod year around!

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home