Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Farewell, Fair Lady


I feel the need to recognize the passing of Coretta Scott King, yet I find I am quite without sufficient expression.

I am the beneficiary of so much of the work she and her husband did. I got to grow up in an era where racial violence didn't touch my environment, where I could recognize and embrace my cousin (whose father was a strong, proud black man) and where I get to raise my children in the belief that we ARE all created equal.

I live in a very, VERY white part of the United States. All my neighbors are caucasian. With the exception of one or two kids of Asian descent, all my students are caucasian. I understand, in an intellectual way, that there is still much work to be done.

I honor those who began the process.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home